Cataloguing in Gippsland

Musings of a Cataloguer at Large in Gippsland. Just personal thoughts - absolutely no bearing on the thoughts of any organisation with which I am working.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 2, part I

So, what else do you do sitting in one of those big service bays on Highway One, heading home? You grab the camera and check your morning photos, and then cannot resist uploading just a few.

First up, this morning produced the second set of blogging beads to go out - Eleanor Whitworth from Culture Victoria was presenting on social media - and she has a blog. Well, three of them really. She now has beads.



Another Gippslander has surfaced - Rowena Ashby came over for the day from Coal Creek. All in the interests of researching the perfect scone. That's my story, anyway. Rowena is on the left - with Kay Parkin, Gallery and Community Arts Manager for the Central Goldfields Shire Council. Coal Creek is a large, shire-operated heritage park, so they probably were talking more than scones. Good to see another Gippslander there.



And I managed to sneak into the Trade Exhibition as it was opening - more about that in a post soon. But I am a little puzzled by this grouping, on one of the tables. And there was no-one around to ask.



I always thought these stoneware jars were hot water bottles. But have I got it wrong and they were ink bottles first? Curious minds need to know.

2 Comments:

Blogger thornypebble said...

Hi Linda, you are right of course, the jar is a hot water bottle (or 'hot pig')! They don't connect to the school room objects, except that these are examples of the objects we use in our Education Sessions to help students understand aspects of daily life in the 1850s.

April 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

How lovely I had never heard the term "Hot Pig". (Heads off to put notes in catalogue)

Thank you do much for that - I am glad that I asked!

April 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home