Cataloguing in Gippsland

Musings of a Cataloguer at Large in Gippsland. Just personal thoughts - absolutely no bearing on the thoughts of any organisation with which I am working.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Australia's Community Heritage website


There is a good, new website, Australia's Community Heritage, out there, coming from the federal government, plus the Federation of Australian Historical Societies and the National Trust. It allows you to put up groups, places (with a pretty wide definition of what that covers), people, stories and events (past and future).

One blogger out there Geniaus, has reservations about some of the conditions, but I don't think I will be putting full, refereed articles up there - and any use of the material I do put up there is intended to be as widespread as possible. I am still a great fan of considering all conditions when you sign up for something - but I think I would trust this a lot more than I would trust facebook.

 If you want to pop over and see some examples, I have sites (with links to stories and events) for Heyfield, Maffra and Stratford

I rather like it, as it allows you to provide a useful page for your organisation, with plenty of links off from it, plus you can add your collection as a place, and add stories and events. I would have liked to see objects as well, but guess they can go in as stories.

It has a few glitches (the search is not yet all the widespread on the site), but once you get your mind around it, it is pretty good. Historical societies have been hanging out for something like this for a while.
 
Or you can use searches on the page. It is also good in that if you use the dropdown menu "Search for Stories about" and tick "All stories" they come to you in order of the latest added first. You can also filter them on the leftand side. or just click on the pins on the map, and you are where you want to be. Not much out there for Victoria yet.



1 Comments:

Blogger GeniAus said...

Linda, I share your excitement about this site and hope that people and institutions contribute to make it a success.

August 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home